Previously I raised a question, commonly asked on the flavor of database for data warehouse.
Along the lines, I get asked “What is your choice for a Business Intelligence tool?”. To be clear, most often this question is about a ‘reporting’ tool and not an ‘ETL’ tool.
My answer as my position is the same – there is no ready made, predetermined answer to this.
Why again is it difficult to answer that or actually what would be the criteria to select a BI tool?
Here are some
- Underlying data warehouse architecture
- Data volume (today and projections)
- Application Interfaces
- Usage (today and projections)
- User Experience
- Legacy tool knowledge, considerations and applicability
- Availability Expectations
- (Last but not least) Budget