Frequently a question crops up “What is your database choice for a data warehouse?”
It is not an easy question to answer and certainly should not be a preconceived one. Here is why.
There are number of things that have be to looked at, in recommending and/or opting a database for a data warehouse.
Here is a small list.
- Existing Infrastructure
- Existing Architecture
- Current/Recent Issues
- Application Interfaces
- Current/Recent Data Volume Trends
- Existing Talent Pool (Database & Non-Database)
- Expected Growth – Application Model and Complexity
- Expected Growth – Data Volume
- Consumption/Usage – Business Intelligence, Analytics etc.
- (Last but not least) – Budget