Further to the preamble on big data analytics strategy, when you start, it is necessary to do an inventory check with few questions.
- Do we have in-house experts, who can work in identifying appropriate use-cases for big data analytics ?
- Do we have any groups, which has ‘experimented’ or have gone to deploy big data analytics programs ?
- Do we have any groups, which has run pilots, working with any big data vendors ?
- Do we have expert groups, or part of Data Stewards organization which has experience in coming up with or, vetting use-cases for big data analytics ?
- Do we have any restrictions or guidance in working with any product or services vendors in big data programs ?
This should help you to decide the next set of actions. Those actions could include
- Create a focus group ( a small team of 3-5 members ) which would work in formulating the big data analytics plan – a roadmap of sort, but not long and large enough to slow down
- If knowledge on big data technologies – even at a very high level – is lacking, it’d be good to get guidance from market analysts ( Gartner, IDC, Forrester ) or, go through product briefings from Big Data Analytics product vendors or, take up basic/preliminary courses on Big Data Analytics technologies
- Collect possible information in formulating use-cases for big data analytics
- Also, create a focus group in creating, prioritizing and finalizing use-cases
- Create working models bring in representation from business and IT into these groups and joint exercises
- Probe existing product ( Database, Data Integration, Business Intelligence, Data Visualization, Data Security and Hardware ) vendors, part of partnership on their big data offerings, product maturity, adoption and deployment experiences
- Do an inventory check on SI vendors, who work in your group and organization on their big data stories and experiences
- Part of focus groups’ research could also include competitive analysis of your peers or in the same industry space, to find their big data story, success and failure scenarios, vendor partnerships and use-cases and role of big data analytics with in their organization
- Find information on your education, training partner on their big data analytics training offerings to plan to train you workforce on newer technologies
- Create a task force ( may be for the same focus group ) to work in scoping and budgeting for, the pilot big data analytics program
Output of these exercises could be a good assessment on the current state and to plan next steps.